Sunday, December 6, 2015

Front Porch Politics

I love going door to door meeting the great folks of North Carolina's 5th Congressional district.  I have nothing to lose, and liberty to gain. That's but one of my mottos.

The American people are fed up and the folk of NC05 are no exception. They are tired of Republican leadership not doing what they told us they would do if we gave them the Senate in 2014. They are tired of Republicans not using the power given to them in the US Constitution to stop Obama's liberal agenda.

People invite me in to sit a while and discuss the current state of our nation, they invite me to sit on their front porch to talk a while....a great southern tradition.  Yesterday, a man was cooling his sweet tea, another great southern thing, on his front porch. He offered to fix me a glass before I headed back out door knocking.  A few months ago, I went to a door and the wife answered. She said her husband would be so excited to meet me, and asked if I could wait one minute.  Her husband came out and invited me to "sit a spell". His wife brought me an ice cold Pepsi made with real sugar. Since it was one of the hottest days of the summer, boy did it taste great!

I may have already shared this story, but it is one of my favorites, so I'm going to share it again. This was back in the summer. I rang the bell and waited. A man came from the garage and when I told him who I was, he exclaimed, "We read about you in the paper!" He said I had to come in and meet his wife. When we entered his house, his wife was on the phone. The man told his wife several times, "Get off the phone, you'll never guess who is here! Tell her you'll call back." We sat down to talk and the next thing I know, the man is on the phone with his friend inviting him to come over to his house to meet me. He exclaimed into the phone, "You've got to come over here, I've got Pattie Curran in my kitchen and you need to come meet her." About five minutes later, I was shocked to see that his friend had indeed driven over to meet me.

Another sweet couple this summer invited me in and wanted to make lunch for me. One sweet lady invited me in to watch FOX News with her. People are amazing. I'm so thankful for each and every person who shows me kindness when I show up on their front porch.

My favorite folks are the people who can't believe I am actually running for Congress and that I'm standing at their doorstep. They've never had a candidate for ANY office who up at their door, much less someone wanting to represent them in DC.

I am reminded frequently that she has $2 million dollars cash on hand in her campaign account and that she will be hard to beat. Yep. I get that, but the power of the grassroots is the great equalizer. I believe that we the people can show the DC establishment that their money can't buy votes. I believe we the people can make our voices heard and restore our government to its rightful owners- us! A government of the people, by the people and for the people. I have great hope......that with God and hard work, WE can win this election.

No comments:

Post a Comment