Wednesday, October 22, 2014

Obamacare is More than Insurance Exchanges

I was recently scheduled to be on a national news show, but was canceled at the last minute because it was realized we had private insurance. The producer didn't understand how I could blame Obamacare for our cost increases and lifesaving meds no longer being covered because we have employer based benefits/private insurance. We'd just left the hospital and I was making my way through insane traffic to get to the studio on time. I had one minute to plead my case. I lost. Ebola won out... 4 of us were supposed to be on. Only one doctor made it- the other 3 of us were cut. So, I'm not sure if it was Ebola last week or the producer's confusion. 

We've just spent several days inpatient with my youngest for a surgery and here I sit typing as we want for a neurosurgical appointment. We spend a lot of time at the hospital. We've yet to meet one nurse or doctor who says that Obamacare is working. In fact, most lament that it has made their jobs harder. They've seen many families like mine being harmed by the law. But, back to my original intent of this post: Obamacare is more than the insurance exchanges. It regulates all health insurance and drives up the cost for everyone. I'll start with the letter we received from hubby's employer before open enrollment last year. Company name marked out for privacy. 

The company admits the law(Obamacare) will increase the fees (costs) of the medical plans in the top portion. In the lower portion, the company explains that their portion of healthcare costs will increase $7.4 million in 2014 over the $64 million they paid in 2013. How much clearer can it be!? Employer costs are going up...employee costs are going up.

If anyone would research the mito cocktail no longer being covered by most insurances now ( or see earlier blog posts) they'd see that most articles state companies are no longer covering the meds as a "cost cutting measure" because of the cost INCREASES related to the unAffirdable Care Act. 

From 2005-2010, our premiums, copays, deductibles and out-of-pocket maxes were more affordable. Things were covered. The law passed and what had barely increased in 6 years began to skyrocket. Then, we lost coverage of life-saving meds. All because of Obamacare. The ACA screwed up insurance for the 85% of people who liked their plans. 

No one on the left can ever explain what caused the skyrocketing costs and loss of coverage if it is NOT the law. It seems like a no brainer to me. We've had the same insurance since 2005. This is our 10th year with the same insurance (2005,2006,2007,2008,2009,2010,2011,2012,2013,2014) and until the law passed, very little changed with coverage. From 2095-2010, our deductible increased $50 and our OOP Max increased $500. That's $10 per year and $100 per year respectively. Since the law passed, our deductible increased $1300 and our OOP Max $2500. We still don't know 2015 benefits yet ( should know Friday, I believe - our premiums will increase $1050 per year next year..I bet benefits will be worse. Sighs.) 

What in the law made these numbers increase!? I'm sorry...same employer, same insurance and the huge jump after 6 years is related to the law. Loss of coverage due to cost cutting measures is related to the law. 

People do realize that Obamacare is more than just its insurance exchanges, right!? They realize the laws mandates and regulations regulate EVERY insurance plan in the United States, right?

Nothing shocks me at this point. I keep rolling and hoping people will wake up before it is too late. I thought everyone realized that Obamacare regulated every insurance. I guess I need to start an action plan to educate everyone. 





No comments:

Post a Comment